Subject: Re: Lightwave for PC
From: [email-masked] (Corey Brenner)
Date: 18 Nov 1994 00:06:37 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.packages.lightwave

Brian Dupras ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Chris Neil Hurley ([email-masked]) wrote:
: > [email-masked] (Joseph Castillo) writes:

8<----- SNIP -----8<

: > I'd be interested in knowing if the PC will have a render-only version with
: > no interface, and if so, what to expect as far as how to invoke it.

: > I'd like to have a PC client for Plantation as soon as the PC version of
: > Lightwave is ready.

8<----- SNIP -----8<

: As the "welcome" of this new newsgroup says, the PC version will be out
: as early as the end of the year, or as late as the first quarter of next
: year.

: I doubt that the archetecture of SN will be public as to allow for other
: packages to use the renderer.  But, that would be cool, too.

IMHO, not a wise choice... I run a different operating system (see .sig)
and would be thrilled to write a device interface into a "ScreamerNet"
network for it.  There will be several platforms worthy of this type of
work (rendering, et al) that will be left cold by those of us unwilling to
make our systems crawl with MS-Windoze/DOS.

Ideally, ScreamerNet would be an open specification which many devices could
hook up to.  I would even be willing to sign a NDA and help NewTek port the
SGI version to Linux/Intel, Linux/Alpha, and Linux/MIPS.

: Brian

--
 LinuxuniLinuxuniLinuxuniLinuxuniLinuxuniLinuxuniLinuxuniLinuxuniLinux.
/* ------------------------------------------------------------------ *\
 * Corey D. Brenner             | "Those who would give up freedom    *
 * ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  		|  for security shall have less of    *
 * [email-masked]  		|  both and shall deserve neither."   *
 * [email-masked]	|  -- One of the founding fathers     *
\* ------------------------------------------------------------------ */
#include <stddisclaimer.h>